DO YOU WANT TO BECOME AN ARMY OFFICER?
THE ARMY OFFICER SELECTION PROCESS
To begin with, applicants will need to contact their local Armed Forces Careers Office and explain that they wish to apply to become an Officer within the British Army. The most effective way to do this is to go along to your nearest centre for a brief chat. You will be supplied with an information pack and details on how to apply, providing you meet the minimum eligibility requirements.
The Army Careers Advisor interview
- You will eventually be invited to attend what is called the Army Careers Advisor (ACA) interview. Sometimes this interview is referred to as the AFCO interview or the ‘filter’ interview.
- This interview is designed to assess whether or not you have the right qualities to become an Army Officer and it is also the opportunity for you to decide whether or not the Army is for you.
- If you successfully pass the ACA interview and a medical check, you will be put forward to attend the Army Officer Selection Board briefing.
- In order to successfully become an Army Officer you will need to pass two boards. The first is an AOSB briefing and the second is the Main Board.
The AOSB Briefing
The AOSB briefing is 2 days in duration and held in Westbury. During your stay here you will be assessed on:
1. Your physical ability;
2. Practical ability;
3. Teamwork ability;
4. Leadership ability.
The briefing is also an opportunity for you to see whether Army life is for you and to also prepare for the full AOSB Main Board. During the briefing you will get to try many of the elements that you’ll be assessed against during the Main Board, such as:
- An opening discussion with the other candidates
- Aptitude tests – verbal reasoning, numerical reasoning and abstract reasoning
- Planning exercise
- Practical techniques
- Physical fitness tests including the bleep test and an obstacle course
Once the briefing is complete the assessors will get together and discuss your performance.
You will be placed in one of the four categories:
CATEGORY 1 – Invited to attend the AOSB Main Board.
CATEGORY 2 – You will be invited to attend AOSB Main Board after a set period of time during which you will be required to work on your weaker areas.
CATEGORY 3 – The board believes that you will fail Main Board. However, you can attend if you wish to do so.
CATEGORY 4 – Unsuitable for AOSB Main Board.
As you can see, it is important to aim for CATEGORY 1 or CATEGORY 2 at the very least. If you achieve CATEGORY 1 then you will normally be invited back to Westbury within 8 weeks. During this 8-week period it is vital that you continue your preparation. Passing the briefing is by no means an indication that you will pass the Main Board.
The AOSB Main Board
- The AOSB Main Board takes place at Westbury. Boards usually run during the week, however, there are weekend boards for those people who cannot genuinely attend during the week.
- You will be split up into medium sized groups of approximately 8 people for the duration of the board. Groups will consist of men and women of a variety of different ages.
- This is done deliberately, to assess whether or not you can work with people of the opposite sex and also with people whom are younger and older than you.
The AOSB Main Board is designed to assess whether or not you have the right personal qualities and attributes to become a successful Army Officer. The only way you will pass it is through hard work and determination.
There are 2 key elements to passing the AOSB –
1) How you perform
2) How you behave
- You will be required to work in groups of up to 8 people.
- How you treat each member of your group, both as a team player and a team leader will be assessed.
- You will also be assessed on your attitude. If you are cocky, arrogant, dismissive, or you have a negative attitude towards discipline, then you will not pass the board.
The assessors will naturally expect you to have found out as much as you can about the Army, its history, its mission, its equipment, weapons, tanks and aircraft, and they will also ask you questions about the training you would expect to go through if you are successful both as an officer and as part of your chosen trade/branch. There is plenty of hard work ahead of you if you want to pass the AOSB Main Board, but the hard work will certainly be worth it!
Topics and information included within this guide include:
HOW TO PASS THE ARMY OFFICER SELECTION PROCESS
- Top insider tips for helping you to pass the Army Officer Selection Board.
- Preparing effectively for the Army Officer Selection Board AOSB.
- How you will be assessed throughout the entire selection process.
- Essential contact details and useful websites.
- All about the selection process and the different elements of the AOSB.
- How to create the right impression at the AFCO, the main AOSB and briefing.
HOW TO PASS THE AOSB MAIN BOARD AND BRIEF
- Preparing effectively to pass the Army Officer Selection Board.
- Lots of sample mental aptitude test questions.
- About the AOSB and how to pass it with very high grades.
- The opening discussion and lecturette advice.
- How to pass the Planning Exercise.
- A sample Planning Exercise to help you prepare fully for AOSB.
- Command Task advice and the Leaderless tasks.
HOW TO PASS THE AOSB INTERVIEWS
- How you will be assessed during the AOSB interviews.
- Tips on how to increase your interview scores.
- The Education Officer's interview including actual questions.
- Deputy President's interview and how to pass.
- Lots of sample interview questions.
- The Vice President's interview with questions!
Plus many more pages of essential information...
When you order you will receive the following free bonuses:
A FREE ‘HOW TO GET SOLDIER FIT ‘ GUIDE
Within your package we have provided you with an in-depth guide on how to get fit in order to successfully pass the AOSB. Within this guide we have included essential tips and advice on how to prepare for, and pass, the Army Officer physical assessments. Within the information guide there are exercises for everyone and you don’t have to attend a gym to take part.
Please note – The ‘How to get Army Officer Fit’ guide is sent to you via e-mail.
THE 150-PAGE INTERVIEW SKILLS E-BOOK GUIDE
For a limited period only we are able to give you our awesome 150-page ‘Interview Skills’ guide free of charge when you order the ‘How To Become An Army Officer’ package. This guide has been written by a former serving member of the Armed Forces with over 20 years experience of successfully passing job interviews. It is the perfect guide to help you prepare for the tough Army Officer Interview! The guide will be sent to you via email within a few seconds of your order being placed
FREE 30-DAYS ACCESS TO ONLINE ARMY OFFICER
You will receive a whole 30-days FREE INSTANT ACCESS to online Army Officer tests when you purchase your guide and DVD. The tests contained within your suite are perfect preparation for the Army Officer Selection Board. After the 30 day free trial is over the service is automatically charged at just £4.95 plus vat with no minimum term. See our terms and conditions at the bottom of the page.
Order ‘How To Become An Army Officer’ workbook and DVD today
and receive 3 FREE bonuses