KEY STAGE 3: ENGLISH GRAMMAR, PUNCTUATION AND SPELLING
- 120-page interactive workbook for KS3 English;
- Advice for both your child and you;
- Up-to-date with the new national curriculum;
- English taught in a fun and engaging way from award-winning creators;
- An easy to follow breakdown of each topic;
- Questions, games and quizzes to track your progress;
- Achieve 100%!
Key Stage 3 English Is Easy – Grammar, Punctuation And Spelling
Every state-funded school is required to follow a set curriculum of ‘core’ subjects. These core subjects are considered by the government as subjects which provide knowledge and skills that are essential for creating well-rounded and educated citizens.
In Key Stage 3 (ages 11-14), the core subjects that must be taught in schools include the following:
- Art and Design
- Design and Technology
- Physical Education
All schools, Key Stage 1 to Key Stage 4, must also teach Religious Studies to their students; and from the age of 11, children will also be taught Sex Education. However, parents are given the option of pulling their children out from Religious Studies and Sex Education.
Students are taught the importance of English via spoken language, reading, writing and vocabulary. Not only is this a core subject which all students are required to undertake, this subject is an integral part of other school subjects. Children will need to have a strong grasp of the English Language, and will prove vital if they wish to be successful across their school subjects.
The fundamental aims of the English subject include:
- Reading with fluency and ease;
- Demonstrating a good understanding of the English language;
- Highlighting the importance of reading, and allowing students to read for both pleasure and academia;
- Appreciate the English Language and its heritage;
- Acquire a strong English vocabulary to improve students’ knowledge in regards to reading, writing and listening;
- Ability to write effective literature, adapting their writing and language in order to demonstrate its purpose, context and audience;
- Improve children’s confidence in their English abilities, allowing them to become competent in the English Language via verbal and written communication.
In Key Stage 3, the English subject focuses on four main ‘disciplines’:
- Grammar and Vocabulary;
- Spoken English.
The aforementioned disciplines are all used in order to teach students vital skills for both academia and the outside world.
GRAMMAR AND VOCABULARY
Students in Key Stage 3 will need to extend their knowledge which was obtained in Key Stage 2.
Teachers will need to build on the skills and knowledge by enhancing students’ knowledge and teach them the importance of grammar, punctuation and spelling. The importance of these key areas allow students to not only analyse literary texts, but also improve their own writing style.
Students’ linguistic development will need to include strong English terminology and how this can be applied to literary texts; the ability to use appropriate vocabulary and understand the meaning of words and phrases; and the ability to analyse, practice and implement literary techniques to their own work in order to create strong written communication.
Below I have broken down the aims and objects of how the English subject in KS3 focuses on grammar, punctuation and spelling.
How To Use Our KS3 Grammar, Punctuation And Spelling Guide
|SILENT LETTERS||ACTIVE||PASSIVE||STANDARD ENGLISH||MISUSED WORDS|
Using the connectives listed below, match up the sentences on the left with the sentences on the right. The first one has been done for you.
Eight adjectives have been taken out of the place. Write the adjectives in the spaces below, in order for the passage to read correctly.
Underline all of the abstract nouns.
It was a brave decision for Tommy to make. He quickly made his way through the crashing waves and begun swimming out to a woman who was struggling to stay afloat. The truth was, Tommy was not a strong swimmer himself. After successfully rescuing the woman, Tommy felt that his courageous decision was an act of heroism. He sat on the beach, proud of what he had just accomplished.
Complete the crossword below.
|1. Plural of thief
4. Homophone of by
5. I have judo (practice/practise)
7. Homophone of passed
8. Vowel sounds canwhen you add an ‘e’ at the end
9. Word ending in ‘ay’ sound, and used to describe how heavy someone is
|1. Letters you cannot hear
3._ vowels and long vowels
6. Lack of exercise will (affect, effect) your health
7. A rule or truth that serves as a system of belief
My brother covered his ears because it was really noisy.
I finished my homework but I was still confused.
I laid on the sofa until my mum told me to go to bed.
I love my brother despite our constant arguing.
Katie enjoyed the park even though the weather was miserable.
Henry liked pokemon and sending random snapchats.
Jordan wanted to lose weight yet continued to eat 10 satsumas.
The words should be written in the following ascending order:
Colourful, ancient, high, noiseless, wrinkly, tranquil, careless, free
*It doesn’t matter what way round the words ‘careless’’ and ‘free’ go.
It was a brave decision for Tommy to make. He quickly made his way through the crashing waves and begun swimming out to a woman who was struggling to stay afloat. The truth was, Tommy was not a strong swimmer himself. After successfully rescuing the woman, Tommy felt that his courageous decision was an act of kindness.
|2. Plural of thief THIEVES
4. Homophone of by BYE
5. I have judo (practice/practise) PRACTICE
7. Homophone of passed PAST
8. Vowel sounds canwhen you add an ‘e’ at the end CHANGE
9. Word ending in ‘ay’ sound, and used to describe how heavy someone is WEIGHT
|1. Letters you cannot hear SILENT
3._ vowels and long vowels SHORT
6. Lack of exercise will (affect, effect) your health AFFECT
7. A rule or truth that serves as a system of belief PRINCIPLE
When you order you will receive the following free bonus;
Plus 30-days FREE ACCESS to the Educational online testing suite. Thereafter, just £5.95 per month. No minimum term. You may cancel anytime. Cancel before the 30-days are up and you will not be charged. Online suite access on PC, MAC and mobile devices.
KS3 English is Easy: Grammar, Spelling and Punctuation Revision Guide
Add to cart More info
KS3 English is Easy Grammar Punctuation And Spelling Download
Add to cart More info