In this blog post, Richard McMunn (founder of How2Become), will provide you with his tips on answering the new police officer competencies of Impartiality, Transparency, Public Service, Integrity at the interview.
WHAT ARE THE NEW POLICE OFFICER COMPETENCIES?
The new police officer competencies are essentially the foundations for the role of a modern-day police officer. They are crucial for ensuring the right candidates are selected at the National Police Officer Assessment Centre, including the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS). The competencies form part of the competency and values framework.
For all police officer applicants who are required to complete the application form, attend an assessment centre, undertake role play or interactive exercises, and also pass an interview, it is vital they understand what they are and also how they have previously demonstrated them in specific situations.
The new police officer competencies include:
- Public Service;
Some UK police forces are still using a set of different competencies, and it is important you check within your police recruitment pack, which ones you are required to demonstrate throughout the police officer selection process:
- Serving the public;
- Openness to change;
- Service delivery;
- Decision making;
- Working with others.
DO YOU WANT TO ACE YOUR POLICE COMPETENCY-BASED INTERVIEW?
Get the very best answers and advice today. Download the complete set of 25+ questions and answers now for just £17 (RRP: £31.96)!DOWNLOAD NOW »
At How2Become, we believe the new set of police competencies will eventually be rolled out to all forces. Therefore, it is important that all applicants who want to become a police officer start preparing for these, and more importantly, have sample answers prepared for the police officer assessment interview.
Let’s now take a look at the new police officer competencies and what they actually mean to the role.
POLICE OFFICER COMPETENCY - PUBLIC SERVICE
The competency of public service is linked to the values of respect and selflessness. All police officers must act in the best interests of the community. As a police officer, you will be required to always work towards the best outcomes for society and carry out your duties responsibility and professional at all times.
You will need to work in the best interest of the public and provide outstanding service in everything you do, both by working with other police colleagues and also wider organisational stakeholders such as the Fire Service, Ambulance Service and Local Authority.
POLICE OFFICER COMPETENCY (PUBLIC SERVICE) SAMPLE INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
- Explain a situation you were in where you tailored your style of communication to be respectful to others?
- Tell me about a time when you considered how someone else wanted to be treated whilst interacting with them?
- Tell me about a time when you had to adapt your style of communication to get your message across?
- When have you worked as part of a team to complete a difficult task?
- Describe a time when you provided excellent service?
- Describe a time when you treated someone fairly regardless of their situation or circumstances?
- Explain a time when you gave credit to someone in a team situation?
DOWNLOAD RICHARD MCMUNN’S POLICE OFFICER COMPETENCY INTERVIEW QUESTIONS & ANSWERS PDF GUIDE – PUBLIC SERVICE
POLICE OFFICER COMPETENCY - IMPARTIALITY
Police officer’s must be capable of acting with impartiality at all times whilst undertaking their role. As a police officer with any of the UK police forces, you will be required to operate under a code of conduct that encompasses values and ethics. You need to be fair in all that you do and also act with objectivity when dealing with the public.
Police officers must act without prejudice and they must ask relevant questions to get to the facts of any situation or incident. It is really important that police officer’s work to build the trust between themselves, their police service and the members of the public and this will only be achieved by being impartial, professional and by demonstrating the utmost fairness in all of their work.
You must never let your feelings get the better of you; you must always act in line with the code of conduct laid down by the police and you must always follow all rules and procedures appropriate to your work.
POLICE OFFICER COMPETENCY (IMPARTIALITY) SAMPLE INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
- Tell me a situation when you communicated an important message to the same group of people?
- Describe a time when you took into account someone else’s needs?
- Describe a time when you used the information available to make an objective decision?
- Explain a time when you listened to someone else’s perspective?
- Describe a time when you demonstrated equality or fairness?
- Explain a time when you supported or promoted equality and diversity?
DOWNLOAD RICHARD MCMUNN’S POLICE OFFICER COMPETENCY INTERVIEW QUESTIONS & ANSWERS PDF GUIDE – IMPARTIALITY
POLICE OFFICER COMPETENCY - TRANSPARENCY
One thing we love about police officers here at How2Become, is the fact they are transparent. Transparency essentially means operating with honesty and openness, and these values are again aligned to the police code if ethics and conduct.
Police officer and police forces must be transparent in everything they do, how they deal with people and also how they communicate with the members of society they serve.
As a police officer, your intentions must always be good, and you will need to be prepared to account for your actions at all times whilst on operational duty. Again, transparency is a competency and value that will go a long way to helping the police build and maintain positive relationships with the general public and society as a whole.
POLICE OFFICER COMPETENCY (TRANSPARENCY) SAMPLE INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
- Tell me about a time when you responded to feedback from someone else?
- Tell me about a time when you identified an area you needed to improve upon?
- Describe a time when you gave feedback to someone else?
- Describe a time when you communicated the views or opinions of others accurately?
- Tell me about a situation you were in where you had to explain to others an important decision you’d made?
- Describe a time when you maintained confidentiality at work?
DOWNLOAD RICHARD MCMUNN’S POLICE OFFICER COMPETENCY INTERVIEW QUESTIONS & ANSWERS PDF GUIDE – TRANSPARENCY
POLICE OFFICER COMPETENCY - INTEGRITY
Once again, the competency of integrity is assigned to the police code of ethics and values. You must act with a high degree of professionalism and integrity I everything you do as a police officer, as this will serve to increase trust with members of the public. If police officers cannot be trusted, who can we trust in society?
During the police officer selection process, including the application form, role plays, assessment tests and also interviews, you will be assessed against your ability to act with honesty and integrity at all times.
In a nutshell, acting with integrity is essentially ‘doing the right thing’. In preparation for your police officer assessment interview, we have provided you with a number of sample answers to the types of interview question you may get asked.
POLICE OFFICER COMPETENCY (INTEGRITY) SAMPLE INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
- Describe a time when you followed rules and procedures?
- Describe a time when you demonstrated courage in a challenging situation?
- Describe a situation you were in where you enhanced the reputation of your employer or an organisation?
- Describe a time when you remained calm in a stressful and difficult situation?
- Explain a situation you were in where you challenged someone’s behavior that was inappropriate?
- Tell me about a time when you demonstrated integrity and professionalism at work?
- Describe a time when you went out of your way to help your employer?
- As a police officer, how would you deal with a member of the public who was demonstrating threatening behavior?
- Describe a time when you had to deal with a stressful situation at work
- Describe a time when you completed a difficult task whilst under pressure?
DOWNLOAD RICHARD MCMUNN’S POLICE OFFICER COMPETENCY INTERVIEW QUESTIONS & ANSWERS PDF GUIDE – INTEGRITY
Want to get the edge? Download the complete set of 25+ questions and answers now for just
£31.96 £17! (Save 46%)…