Many job roles require people to provide and maintain a good level of customer service. Whether that be face-to-face, on the telephone, or via email, it is important that you are able to provide the correct etiquette in order to demonstrate strong levels of people skills and professionalism.
THE IMPORTANCE OF CUSTOMER SERVICE INTERVIEWS
The reason why so many employers assess your customer service skills is so that they make sure they are employing the right type of person.
Customer service is a specialised role that involves interaction with lots of people, particularly focusing on a company’s customers and/or clients. The way you come across to other people is important, and therefore you need to carry yourself with the utmost poise, composure, maturity and professionalism.
An interview is a great way for employers to ask questions about how well you would handle different customer-related tasks. This is proven effective for roles that are primarily focused on customers.
When undergoing a customer service interview, you should consider the following points:
- Does your skills, personality and experience match the job description and person specification?
- What are your motives, skills and knowledge?
- Why are you the most suitable candidate?
HOW TO HANDLE YOURSELF DURING A CUSTOMER SERVICE INTERVIEW
It is important that during your interview, you not only focus on your responses to the questions, but the way you come across in an interview also needs to be taken into consideration.
Customer service interview technique:
Below is an illustration of what NOT to do during an interview:
Below is an illustration of the CORRECT way to present yourself during an interview:
Remember, the key things to focus on during your customer service interview include:
- Friendly approach. Ensure that you are smiling. This will allow the interviewer to see your personality, and that you are happy to be there.
- This is crucial. Wearing smart clothing, speaking professionally, and maintaining the correct interview etiquette will go a long way in deciphering whether or not you get the job.
- Make sure that your clothes are clean, pressed and smart. Avoid wearing trainers, jeans or anything that can be deemed ‘casual’.
- Always sit upright in the seat. Remember, only take a seat when you have been invited to do so. Place your hands in your lap, and try not to fidget. Again, this will show that you know how to behave during an interview.
- Make sure you make a good first impression. First impressions are key in job selection processes. Alas, lasting impressions also need to be considered. Ensure you leave on a positive note.
For the ULTIMATE preparation advice for interview, please check out the following link: https://www.how2become.com/resources/interview-skills/
SAMPLE CUSTOMER SERVICE INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
Below I have outlined some of the most common interview questions that relate to customer service.
I suggest you read through these questions, and take some notes on how you would answer each question.
- How would you deal with a difficult customer?
- Do you prefer to work alone or with others?
- Tell me about a time when you have had to be extremely customer focused.
- What key skills do you think are required to provide good customer service?
- Have you had any previous work in customer focused work?
- Are you a people’s person? Give me an example.
- Give me an example of when you have delivered excellent customer service.
- What is the best level of customer service you have had? Why was this experience positive?
- Provide a time of when you have received poor customer service.
For more practice interview questions, please visit the following link for a whole range of other interview-related videos: