If you want to be able to drive unsupervised on the road in the UK, you’ll need to pass two driving tests. Firstly, there’s your practical driving test, where you’re assessed on your ability to actually drive. Secondly, you have the driving theory test. In this test, you will be asked questions and tested on your knowledge about the road, such as traffic regulations and road signs. Essentially, this test measures your understanding of the highway code. Here, we’re going to be taking a look at some of the most common traffic signs and road sign meanings in each of the following categories:
1. Prohibitive traffic signs.
2. Positive traffic signs.
3. Warning signs.
4. Information signs.
5. Road works signs.
In order to pass your driving theory test, you don’t need to know each and every sign. However, you will be tested on your ability to figure out what different signs mean. Therefore, it doesn’t hurt to have a well-rounded understanding of common traffic signs on UK roads.
The Types of Road Signs – Road Signs Theory Test
Here, we’re going to be taking a look at the following five types of traffic sign:
1. Prohibitive traffic signs – telling you not to do something (e.g. ‘no stopping’).
2. Positive traffic signs – telling you that you must do something (e.g. ‘keep left’).
3. Warning signs – giving you information about potential upcoming hazards or changes in road conditions (e.g. ‘roundabout ahead’, ‘icy roads’, ‘wild horses’).
4. Information signs – informing you about a wide range of details relevant to helping you drive more safely and easily (e.g. ‘traffic cameras in use’)
5. Road works signs – giving you information of warnings relevant to upcoming road works (e.g. ‘loose chippings ahead’, ‘slow-moving or closed lane due to road works’).
In the following five videos, we’re going to be taking a look at common traffic signs for you to remember so that you’re more prepared for your road signs theory test!
Prohibitive Traffic Signs – Road Signs Theory Test
Positive Traffic Signs – Road Signs Theory Test
Warning Signs – Road Signs Theory Test
Information Signs – Road Signs Theory Test
Road Works Signs – Road Signs Theory Test
Now you should have a good idea about what the most common road signs in the UK are, and what they mean. Make sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel, Careervidz, to be alerted of when we release more road signs tips videos!