RAF rankings are commissioned or non-commissioned. Commissioned rankings are for officers who have worked up the ranks from non-commissioned to commissioned or entered as officers based on education and their career background. Every individual in the Royal Air Force that starts at the beginning enters as a cadet with a pay scale of £13,000 to £14,000. Once the training is complete the cadet is provided with the entry level position as a non-commissioned enlisted person. Find out loads more here about RAF rank structure and how to join the RAF!
RAF Ranks: Commissioned Ranks
Commissioned rankings are given positions in which the person swears to uphold the responsibilities given to them by the Royal Air Force and Government. Officer rankings are typically more administrative with different levels of command duty including the number of squadrons or enlisted members officers command.
- Marshal of the Royal Air Force– the highest rank available to Air Force personnel. This role is no longer available, as of the 90s, except to the Royal Family.
- Air Chief Marshal– the most senior rank for enlisted officers, the ACM is the highest command of all Air Force personnel that can be achieved. It is mostly an administrative position rather than an active military role
- Air Marshal– a senior appointment that helps command the forces, work in administration, and typically handle officers below their rank.
- Air Vice-Marshal– a 2 star rank in the RAF, they help the air marshal conduct their duties and help with the troops and officers below them, as well as dealing with administrative duties.
- Air Commodore– is a one star rank and a junior position of all air officer ranks. This position may require active military duties, with some administration. These officers are commanding, acting, and supportive staff members. The Air Commodore holds authority over all cadet organisations Salary is typically £99,000 – £103,000.
- Group Captain Salary range: £85,000 – £94,000
- Wing Commander Salary range: £70,000 – £81,000
- Squadron Leader Annual Pay Range: £50,000 – £60,000
- Flight-Lieutenant Pay Scale: £40,000 – £47,000
- Flying Officer Salary: £26,000 – £34,000
- Pilot Officer Pay Range: £17,000 – £25,000
Raf Ranks: Non-commissioned
These rankings are for non-commissioned enlisted Royal Air Force positions. A non-commissioned candidate is one that is evaluated by commissioned personnel and moves up in rankings based on time in the service and abilities. These positions will include mechanical, operational, and hard work during missions.
- Warrant Officer pay is typically £47,000 – £50,000.
- Flight-Sergeant annual salary is between £41,000 and £47,000.
- Chief Technician pay scale is £37,000 – £45,000.
- Sergeant pay range is £33,000 – £41,000.
- Corporal annual salary varies around £28,000 – £35,000.
- Junior Technician salary range is £23,000 – £27,000.
- Senior Aircraftman annual pay is close to Junior Technicians.
- Leading Aircraftman salary range is between £19,000 and £24,000.
- Aircraftman annual pay is between £18,000 and £19,000.
The female rankings are the same in description as the posts above. For the Royal Air Force there are certain positions that are not available to women. The below is a list of female rankings available.
Pay is based on the ranking, years in service, and experience of the female officer. The annual salary is the same for men and women based on equality.
- Air Commandant
- Group Officer
- Wing Officer
- Squadron Officer
- Flight Officer
- Flying Officer
- Pilot Officer