In this blog we will tell you the 4 things you should include in your answer to the question, “Tell me about yourself”. I will then give you a really easy structure to use when answering the question, “Tell me about yourself”. This structure is so easy to remember so please do read on!
We will also give you a brilliant scripted example answer to the job interview question “Tell me about yourself” that uses that easy structure!
4 THINGS YOU SHOULD INCLUDE IN YOUR ANSWER
#1. Start your answer and talk about EXPERIENCE you have relevant to the position you have applied for. If you have no previous work experience, tell the interviewer the EDUCATIONAL qualifications you have.
#2. Next, move on and tell the interviewer details of one significant ACHIEVEMENT you have gained from either your work life or your personal life. This is a good thing to include in your answer to the question tell me about yourself because it shows you are a high-achiever.
#3. Next, talk about the specific SKILLS you can bring to the role.
#4. Finally, number four, finish off your answer and tell the interviewer YOUR USP.
YOUR USP is your ‘unique selling point. This is what makes you stand out from the competition.
Examples of USPs include:
- Being flexible and adaptable.
- Being someone who is willing to carry out tasks outside of your job description.
- Being an all-rounder, and someone who can turn their hand to anything.
- Being someone who is really good with customers and who can also close a sale.
- Finally, being someone who takes responsibility of difficult challenges and who is really organized in their work.
THE BEST WAY TO YOUR ANSWER
So, the structure is called the EASY structure… E.A.S.Y!
E stands for the Experience or Educational qualifications you can bring to the role.
A stands for one Achievement you have gained in life so far.
S is the Skills you can bring to the position.
Y stands for Your USP! The one thing that makes you stand out from the competition.
TOP-SCORING EXAMPLE ANSWER
“Thank you for the opportunity to be interviewed for this position.
I already have the EXPERIENCE to excel in the role. I have strong interpersonal and communication skills, I am supportive co-worker, and I can prioritize my work based on the company’s goals.
I have a track record of ACHIEVEMENT. For example, in my last role I was often praised by my supervisor for the amount of work I completed and how good I was at dealing with customers.
The SKILLS I have are perfect for this position. I am an excellent collaborator, I have strong problem solving skills, and I take ownership of my professional development so I am always useful to my employer.
(YOUR USP) My unique selling point is the fact that I am a very fast learner, I can fit seamlessly into any team, and I will carry out duties outside of my job description.
If you hire me, I will always be a positive role model for the company and I will make sure you see a positive return on your investment.”
UNLOCK 50+ Interview
Questions & High-Scoring Answers Today + Get the insider video tuition for EACH question for FREE!
- The secrets to passing any interview;
- The common mistakes made at the interview (and how to avoid them!);
- Over 50 interview questions to prepare for (and how each is assessed);
- Full answers to each of the questions so you can learn how to deliver successful answers of your own.
- Beating the competition (what you MUST do to be successful);
- Checklists and printable resources;
- All interview answers are verified by our interview panel of experts.
- Instant online access as soon as your order is placed to over 50 interactive modules.
£97.99 NOW: FREE with a 30-day trial!